Saturday, April 26, 2014

Kuah Jenhan: Good, Bad, Nasty!

Dinner started so late that by the time I got to DPAC for the second show of the run (out of four), I only had time to collect the ticket (and get the RM3 cardholders' refund; therefore recouped the cost of the card, woo!), get upstairs and in line (free seating) in the sweltering heat with everyone else outside the Black Box space. They only decided to let the cattle in close to 8.30 p.m.

Show started at 8.45 p.m. on the dot (haha) with little "Jacinth" (sp? played by Charmaine Koh) singing I Dreamed a Dream from Les Mis, which was a pretty good rendition. Then came the "flash back" sketch with young Jenhan (played by Marcus Chan), losing Jacinth to a "bad boy" (Bailey Martin) which was pretty cute, but also thought: CHILD LABOUR! I kid, I kid. (Geddit?) 

Getting bright lights shone right in your face in a small, darkened, enclosed space is about as pleasant as strobe lighting (which I also detest). If you saw this year's MACC show, that was a sneak preview for this show. Jenhan made his entrance on a motorbike, in the shadows. The lighting design was used to good effect. All I can say is that he looks like post-accident Harvey Dent (but less yong sui; even the pants are two different colours!). I give the dude props for the dedication to pulling the look off, and I totally get now why only 4 shows :P

His set was how after being a nice, confused guy and also friendzoned by the female species, he goes on about how being a "bad boy" has turned his erm, dating life around. I could totally relate to the friendzoned part #storyofmylife I was so tired that the most I could do is #facepalm and laugh ruefully.

For some inexplicable reason, there was also a brief Q&A session (maybe because the show was only 45 minutes long?) which went a little south towards the end, which made me realise that there were kids in the audience. Give the grown ups props for bringing them, but they might have some 'splaining to do. I would give them more credit as kids these days are precocious, whether you want to admit it or not. And obligatory (at this point) poster signing. 

There might be some tickets left for the matinee show tomorrow, but the last show is totally sold out. Try your luck: Got song, got kids, got laughs. But don't bring the kids.

Stray observations: 
  • Also glad to see that he bought the panties used on stage (and are not donated), but I would like to know what's gonna happen to them after the run, haha. 
  • Inner Circle's Bad Boys is going to stick in the head now, in between the Taio Cruz and Kylie song, Higher and the Snow Patrol ballads. Kanasai.
  • I hope those kids are getting adequate compensation, haha.
  • Luckily for #foreveralone yours truly, the WiFi works while waiting in line outside and inside, waiting for the show to start.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment