Thursday, January 31, 2013

Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters

First popcorn movie of the year, first time back in TGV at the second home since it reopened late last year. 

I totally forgot how quiet TGV can be, even though they also have mid-week specials. I parked on the same level as the multiplex so I didn't have to go too far, especially as I was alone (why I go to the movies alone is another story for another day) at that time of night. Unlike at GSC, there was no line to speak of, except for the long line on the foyer for the free screening of Bullet to the Head (only in the movies Stallone's on-screen daughter is played by the very hot Sarah Shahi). Never mind that it's RM1 more than at GSC, but the not-having-to-line-up, the non-packed room, only 10 minutes of ads and trailers and better screen was worth it :P

With a title like Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters, I thought it was probably written by the people that wrote Pride and Prejudice and Zombies or Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters. But it's an original screenplay co-written by the director Tommy Wirkola. It's a "continuation" of what happened to the orphaned siblings after their time in the candy house - they grew up to be bad-ass witch hunters. Don't expect a high-brow script.

I only have a sliver of a theory as to why Jeremy Renner is in this (he's the biggest name this movie has, since everyone else is practically European and not that known outside the EU), and why despite playing siblings, he and Gemma Arterton seem to have different accents. Love the badass weaponery that you have to see to believe. I like that even though they're immune to witch magic (you'll find out why - it's a clue), they still get cuts and bruises, etc. It was a pleasant surprise to find the F-bombs are left in (in Malaysia, I know), which made some of the lines hilarious. Yes, I did laugh, but I think I was the only one :P

If you pay attention to the opening credits, you might find some familiar names: Will Ferrell and Chris Henchy (Brooke Shields' husband) are producers :P

Despite the name, please don't bring the kids - it's not that kind of movie. It's a popcorn movie in every sense of the word: mindless, gory bloody entertainment. Not a bad movie for January.

No comments:

Post a Comment