Saturday, May 10, 2008

The Hippie's Guide to Climbing the Corporate Ladder and Other Mountains: How JanSport Makes it Happen

Finished reading Skip Yowell's The Hippie's Guide to Climbing the Corporate Ladder and Other Mountains: How JanSport Makes it Happen this week. One of those nice surprises I found at the recent MPH clearance sale. Despite the other books I have in my TBR pile, I knew I had to read this one first.

In case the title's not clear enough, it's basically the story of how three hippies founded outdoor product company JanSport. Skip Yowell's one of the three co-founders (and the last one who is still with the company).

Never having owned a JanSport pack myself, I dove into this book with an open mind and a curious heart.

Some things I didn't know about JanSport until I've read the book and did the Wikipedia-ing:
  1. That it was named after one of the original founders, Jan.
  2. JanSport (and The North Face) are the biggest backpack manufacturer(s) in the U.S. (which would explain the huge number of JanSport and The North Face packs spotted).
  3. JanSport, The North Face and Eastpak are now owned by VF Corp.
It's one of the better "business" reads that I've had the pleasure of diving into.

No comments:

Post a Comment