Thursday, March 13, 2014

300: Rise of an Empire

I don't know why I watch these movies, given my squeamishness. But the completist in me got myself to the sequel/prequel to 300, 300: Rise of an Empire. I say sequel/prequel because the events in this movie ran concurrently with 300 (which was mostly ground battles, this one was mostly naval battles).
  • If nothing else, Eva Green's character was a really badass female antagonist. Props to the hair and makeup people AND the wind machine - she never looked better.
  • Also props to Rodrigo Santoro - the Xerxes getup can't have been easy.
  • I'm not sure if the different coloured capes helped in telling the Athenians and Spartans apart as they were all bare chested... 
  • Didn't know Fassbender was in 300 as one of the dead 299 (which begs the question: Was Dilios #300 or #301?). According to IMDb, it was his first featured role or something to that effect. There's also a "blink and you miss it" moment of him (old footage from 300) in this one. 
  • So... Xerxes goes into the pool of gold a straight man and came out a golden god king in drag? 
  • Laughed like a loon every time David Wenham was on screen: before and after losing his eye. Wait, did he have to go back to the 300 workout for THIS movie? Props to him if he did. 
  • The ladies (Lena Headey and Eva Green) have more fabric on them in this movie than all the guys put together.
  • Maybe it was just me and the lack of sleep from the weather, etc, but by the second battle I was already checking the time. 
  • I can't believe I'm saying this, but there's too much blood and too many bare chested dudes.
  • Not as many memorable lines as the other one. "You fight harder than you fuck" is not as catchy as "THIS IS SPARTA!"
If you liked the first one, you might like this one. I thought it was so-so at best. Also not masochistic enough to watch this in 3D. There was also a sex scene which got cut but you could find online if you're resourceful like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment