Thursday, May 22, 2014

Harith Iskander's Making S#it Up Comedy

I bought a ticket despite not quite understanding the premise of the show.. 
Peek into Harith Iskander's comic laboratory as he concocts his latest brew of craziness, mayhem, and laughter. Joined by cohorts Jit Murad, Douglas Lim, Phoon Chi Ho, Kuah Jenhan, Keren Bala Devan, Rizal van Geyzel, Papi Zak and Kavin Jay, get ready for explosive improv, combustible sketches, and lots of bubbly humour!
Got to PJ Live Arts with only enough time to collect my ticket and check on my LIVE CARD renewal (nope, still not ready). Which was a good thing I was there by myself and had not made pre-show dinner plans. Headed upstairs only to find promoters for free Somersby cider sampling (which I didn't see last night at Sunway). The new pear-flavoured cider is really subtle. 

Show started at Malaysian 8.30 p.m. (it's what I'm going to call 8.45 p.m. at a show from now on). It's a game show format where two teams of four comedians compete in a improv-type show, but with standup bits instead of improv games. Each team is also given two Joker cards at the start that they can play if they want the host (Harith) to step in on their behalf. Teams were Douglas Lim, Phoon Chi HoKavin Jayaram (the only one who's ever left a comment here, I have to say) and Papi Zak on Team Menteri; with Kuah Jenhan, Keren Bala Devan, Rizal van Geyzel, and Jit Murad on Team Balan Menteri [haha])

So unlike a standup comedy show, there should be a different show every night (in theory).

First game was Joke Thief where one member of a team comes up with an original bit, and after that someone from the other team will attempt to steal and improve the joke. I'm spacing out on the second game (this is what happens when I don't blog right away) but I think it involves actually doing an original set with phrases to erm, help them along :P I remember one of the last games was Demotivational Speaker where comedians take inspiration from those inspirational quotes that you see on social media (we all have that one person) to come up with a demotivational speech/seminar/kursus/etc. Winners of each game are judged by applause.

At times it's really hard to watch as they actually do make shit up on the spot (unlike contestants on @midnight who at least got to prep beforehand), but that just goes to show that standup comedy is not as easy as one would think.

Scoring is pretty much like Whose Line in that at the end of the day, the points don't matter.. kind of.

PS. The couple that blocked my view the night before at Jeff Dunham's show was also in the audience. They were not blocking my view, but I recognised the dude :P
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment