Tuesday, August 18, 2026

Jokes Against Humanity

I admit, this was a few weeks ago. I blame the perimenopause energy levels. 

Only had time, energy (and credit limit, mostly) to check out ONE PJ Comedy Festival event - Jokes Against Humanity. 

Step into Jokes Against Humanity — Malaysia’s wild, unfiltered comedy night inspired by Cards Against Humanity. Stand-up, improv, and audience chaos collide in a sell-out show since 2023. Dark, daring, and definitely not for the easily offended.

I've known about this show for some years now, but never had the time, energy, money, and inclination (any, and/or all of the above) to go as it was held in various places and venues that I've not heard of. Figured I'd go check it out this time. 

It would be the first time I've been to this part of what is now known as DeStage @ Jaya One - the studio space that is across the way from the main stage. 

Was kinda tickled that there was a mobile O'Briens outside, selling sandwiches, potato chips, hot drinks, etc. But I only ended up getting a can of 0.0 Somersby (which is just sparkling apple juice la, really) and one of the sandwiches for tomorrow. 

Got myself situated, did not sweat my tits off (yay) cos it had been raining and I wasn't right under where the AC was blowing. 

First half of the show was just everyone in the line up doing their 5, 10 minute sets, no crowd work (which was host Nat Kang's way of trying to get people to sit in the front row). They closed the first half with Jenhan doing a bit about his dad, to promote (like the third staging at this point)  "Like This, Like Dad"

After the 10 minute intermission, it was finally time to play Cards Against Humanity. The only perk of being in the front row was that you get to actually play the cards. Then the lineup has 2 - 4 minutes each to riff on the best generated statement that the crowd voted on. Most of the regular players got 2 minutes. Jenhan and Ming Yue got to team up for theirs cos they had never done it before. Joanne Kam even jumped in at one point. 

I dunno if the cards were kinda meh this time, or people dunno how to play. I thought it was okay. Maybe it's just my perimenopause energy levels and the day I've had. 

No comments:

Post a Comment