Sunday, May 4, 2008

My Weekend at KL Alternative Bookfest (KLAB)

Sat: Took the train down to Central Market with a few (big) books in a big backpack. Got there a little after noon, which was pretty freaking hot by the time I got to the Annexe from the LRT station (which wasn't even that far, really). As I wasn't involved in setting up, I was a little surprised at the number of books that was pooled together for the event. I wasn't worried about having enough books, I was more worried with having to bring them home afters.

Took me a little while to cool down and got busy helping out with the Bookcrosser booth, which involves:

  • registering unregistered books,
  • sticking relevent BC-related stickers on the books that we had,
  • convincing people to take at least ONE book away with them, and...
  • explaining the Bookcrossing concept to curious members of the public
I also bought another book from one of the other stalls: My Kiasu Teenage Life In Singapore by Ee Lin See. Read a few pages on the train ride back - it's epistolary form and should be interesting reading. I also grabbed a copy of Irvine Welsh's Trainspotting from the free book table (which each person is allowed to take up to 3 books only). And also a free copy of 10 x 10 : 100 Minutes to Change the World - The Winning Plays of the Kakiscript Plawrighting Competition just by completing the Kakiseni survey at their booth.

By the time a few of us wanted to have lunch, it was raining (thank goodness, but the timing sucked) and our only choice was the cafe a couple floors down. Menu was between nasi lemak and curry mee, and they didn't have the latter. If nothing else, at least the fruit juices were freshly squeezed and not of the Marigold Peelfresh variety.

Sun: Drove down about 2 something, parked at Dayabumi (RM2.50 flat rate on Sundays - yay!) and lepakked a little more. Wasn't in the mood to actually linger at the other booths at KLAB. But left about 5 something cos I had to cuci kereta.

All in all, from about 100 over books pooled together we managed to have about 90% of them given away. [The ones I brought were already taken, so I don't have to lug them home, haha] The ones left will be wild released around the Central Market area just cos we don't want to bring them home.

Last I checked, I made an appearance at Sharon Bakar's blog in her post about the event.

No comments:

Post a Comment