Monday, June 9, 2008

Martha Ambivalance

I used to watch the Martha show in America whenever I was not napping (which was not very often), or if I happen to come across it while channel surfing.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad that NTV7's showing it (a couple of years behind, but who cares?), but as it's a daytime show, so the broadcast hours are not convenient for a talk show junkie like myself (10 in the morning when I'm at work, or 12.15 a.m., when I'm supposed to be asleep for work).


I mostly watch the show for fun, and if I learned anything useful, good for me; otherwise, I'm not too fussed. Sadly, I don't remember anything once I wake up, and I don't really have to since the stuff's available online at the website.

I'd try to get tickets for a taping just for the free stuff (haha). While I'm not a big fan of the woman, I certainly don't hate her enough to not watch the show or take any of the tips.
That said, I have to give the woman props for....
  • For keeping her ex-husband's last name after the divorce for publicity reasons. I don't think her maiden name (Koystra) is as catchy, memorable or as American. Jon Stewart might agree - and no, they're not related.

  • Her company MSLO (Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia) - the woman's got her name on everything, from books to bed linen to paint. Like Donald Trump, but for the homemakers.

  • She covers just about everything domestic on the show: cooking, housekeeping, decorating, gift ideas, gardening (which I usually don't bother with), etc etc.

  • Insisting that everything must be "perfect". Sure, and I'm the Pope.

  • How the phrase "Good Thing" is associated with her.

  • The website IS informative - just that it takes a while to load stuff :P
But come on...
  • The tee shirt folding thing - Didn't the Japanese came up with that first?

  • Who wants to make, bake and cook from scratch anymore? We're in the 21st century - less time wasted, the better. Cheap is good, fast is better.

  • Speaking of Trump, The Apprentice: Martha Stewart was not renewed for a second season cos how bad it tanked, Ms Stewart says on her show (when Dawna the winner was on), it was only supposed to be a "one time thing". RIGHT.... if that was true, why the feud with the Donald?

  • What kind of a dumbass name for a dog is Kublai Khan Paw Paw Chow Chow Chow? (Don't ask how I still remember - my capacity for useless information like this is limitless)
Frankly, I think she scares the shit out of not just her employees, but also the guests on the show and also the children that she likes to have during certain segments. But that's just me.

No comments:

Post a Comment