Got a pair of free tickets to catch Paula Vogel's How I Learned to Drive from the Kakiseni contest (again, many thanks to Kakiseni.com! You people rock!), so was there ten past the hour to collect them from the box office (a point that I had forgotten since I got the call last week) and not from the FOH (Front of House) people. Whoops.
Half of BSC is under renovation so there's really not all that much to see. Even the Times the Bookshop's moved to a smaller space downstairs across from the Guardian Pharmacy. Also bought the loaf of bread and kaya that my bro sorely wanted at Cold Storage.
The gist of the play was about a woman (known as L'il Bit) who recalls a childhood of sexual harrassment and the lack of boundaries and privacy. Sexually harassed by her uncle (by marriage) Peck when they started her driving lessons at age 11. The narrative goes back and forth in time as seen fit, described in driving terms ("first gear", "second gear", "neutral", etc).
Most of the action happens on a round revolving platform, or what's basically a huge ass lazy Susan on the stage, which makes changing sets easy, but the performers rotate the thing as it goes on. Rest of the stage has different road signs set up in the corners where the cast stash their props.
Everyone had to leave during the 15 minute intermission so they could remove some of the props and the cast could get into positions when the second act began.
Aside from a few "fuck ups", I thought the cast did a good job playing their characters. And I liked the play, dark themes and all. It'd be nice if I could get to read it as well, but oh well.
No comments:
Post a Comment