Sunday, July 20, 2008

Best-Of Albums piss me off

So I saw the Best of Radiohead double CD album in the shops and I was appalled - oh great, another best-of compilation albums which are (I think) designed to piss off fans. While the track selection is not THAT bad, but come on lah, I'm not gonna get it.

Best-of albums are great if you're a casual fan who likes what's been played on the radio, but for the rest of the population that have collected the albums it's a little touchy because they're basically just stuff-you-hear-on-the-radio plus at least ONE "new" track which is supposed to get people to part with their money. Or some "live" version of some track performed somewhere on the planet; unless your job description includes going to concerts all over the planet, why would I want that?

Another thing that I don't get about is people with too few albums to have enough memorable tracks to go in a best-of album. How desperate are the record labels to sell some CDs to stoop to this level?

I decided a long time ago not to buy best-of albums. As for the "new" track they've slipped in the tracklisting, it's not that hard to find thanks to the Internet. And I could do without the live track unless I was there when it actually happened (which is not very likely).

If I WERE to buy best-of albums it would have to be artistes who have too many albums to bother, like U2. I like U2 and I do have a copy of the last album (How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb), but I don't think I've the energy to track down all the other albums that they've released in the last 25 years.

The record companies have to do what they have to do to survive, I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment