Thursday, July 24, 2008

The Dark Knight

Another Wednesday night. Another movie.

[Don't read on if you've not seen it yet - might contain spoilers]

This time around I finally caught the much hyped-about sequel to Batman Begins, The Dark Knight. Already the title got a double meaning to it, and it's the same director who also directed The Prestige, so cannot be that bad, right? I came into the movie only vaguely aware of the viral marketing, so I don't have strong feelings or preconceptions going in.

I don't want to spoil it for anyone who hasn't seen it yet, so I won't go through the plot. But I do want to say that it's not as cheesy as some of the other comic book movies that I've seen so far this year. But if you've seen enough of these movies, it's not hard to spot some clues foreshadowing future events in the course of the movie.

I've no issues with them recasting the Rachel Dawes character with Maggie Gyllenhaal. But so sad what happened to her in the movie; but I guess if there's gonna be a third movie then better also lah. Nor do I have any problems with Aaron Eckhart playing Harvey Dent. But I must say that his new look after the accident (CG, I bet) is really sears itself into your brain, not like Tommy Lee Jones' version (with the rubber prosthetics) of the character which appeared comical. Heath Ledger's performance as The Joker was not to be missed. If he can play gay cowboy, he can definitely pull this off. I'll stop here cos everyone else has given it way too many superlatives already. Though I can't say the same for Christian Bale as Bruce Wayne/Batman. Despite my self-professed anglophilia and acknowledged "thing" for English actors, the guy just doesn't do it for me lah - he's not hot enough. It also doesn't help that he was arrested this week for alleged assault and battery.

Is it just me or they used the same stretch of Chicago roads to film their car chase sequences? I think I saw the same one both here and in Wanted. Haha.

Honestly, I enjoyed watching the supporting actors like Michael Caine, Gary Oldman and Morgan Freeman more than I did Christian Bale and (the late) Heath Ledger. Can't help but think that it's kinda sad that Michael Caine only gets the avuncular roles these days after Alfie, (original) The Italian Job and Get Carter. But I guess it could be worse.

The movie's pretty long (clocking in at two and a half hours) but not without reason, but I say it's worth watching. For people with small bladders or whatever, it's worth going without food and drink.

No comments:

Post a Comment