Monday, July 7, 2008

The Twisted Stethoscope

So I finished reading Jason Leong's The Twisted Stethoscope today (read most of it yesterday and finished it in my down time today at work).

It's basically about the author's first year in his medicine course in Dublin, Ireland after nailing a PSD scholarship (or as the Americans might call it, a full ride scholarship) from the government: the first flight, meeting the people you're gonna room with, adjusting to life in another country, yada yada yada. And like most published memoirs of any form, there's got to be a love interest angle in the story; Jason's was (is?) with a girl he called "Eggy" (for her egg-shaped head). Not a nice name to call someone you have the hots for, but that's just me.

It's a light read, it's readable and funny (in some parts), but I (honestly) glazed over the medical jargon scattered through most of the book. You can take out the medical jargon and it's basically (IMO) the story of every other Malaysian student that's done their study overseas stint.

I got a perspective of life as a medical student which I can't get from the people that I know who are (still) med students because they're all too busy studying medicine for me to drill them about it. (Which I don't think is anything like in Grey's Anatomy).

I also learned something new: until I've read this book I've not even know of, much less heard of the El Camino de Santiago pilgrimage (where the author's trek with his friend got its own chapter), but I may have vaguely heard of it from someone else. My ignorance might have something to do with how

a) I'm not remotely religious, and
b) I didn't study in UK or any where else in the EU.

Final verdict: Go read it. I'd read the sequel.

No comments:

Post a Comment