Saturday, July 19, 2008

Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends

I've had some time to listen to Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends... think I'll settle for calling it Viva la Vida instead, or else I'll be stuck with unjustified repetitive strain injuries typing the whole title out one time too many.

It's a different direction and sound for them, a departure from their usual sound (which most of us are used to, which one either loves or loathes); album title inspired from Frida Kahlo's painting, artwork is Liberty Leading the People by
Eugène Delacroix...

They say that there's only 10 tracks in the lining, but there are a few "hidden" tracks laced in there because they wanted to keep the number to 10. Smart.


I did get the CD (and burned a copy for personal use) but for my iPod I decided to keep the iTunes version that I downloaded before I bought the album because it's got the hidden tracks listed and bonus track (the accoustic version of Lost!).

At first listen, I was like, "whaaat....?" but it grows on you after a few more rounds, there are some songs which you could sing along to, others once you've Googled lyrics.
Here's some of my favourite cuts so far... as described by someone who's tone deaf as well as not musically educated.

Of course don't take my word for it,
here's what was told to Q about the tracks...
  • Life in Technicolour - the opening instrumental track. The lyrics were removed after someone commented that it's an obvious first single. That said, I wonder what were the words...

  • Viva la Vida - Title track used in the new iTunes ad. Catchy.

  • 42 - Like this because of the change in pace halfway through.

  • Lost! - Preferred the accoustic version over the album version (which has a faster beat).

  • Chinese Sleep Chant (hidden track after Yes)- Kinda, sorta reminds me of The Cranberries' song Dreams (later ripped off by Faye Wong). Also not a hard song to sing along to.

  • Violet Hill - First single (and free download), liked it a couple of listens later. Favourite head banging track in the album.
Because it's Coldplay, I'm willing to turn a blind eye on how some reviewers think that there's a running religious theme going on in the album.

Conclusion: I like it, but I still prefer In Rainbows. : P

No comments:

Post a Comment