Friday, August 15, 2008

Reading related meme/tag

Another tag/meme thing that I stole from yet another blog cos I got nothing else really.

Do you remember how you developed a love for reading?

I really can’t remember…. *thinks some more* No, I can’t. I can’t remember much of my childhood and school years – they’re pretty much repressed now and they’ll stay that way.

What are some books you read as a child?

The usual, I guess – Enid Blyton, the Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys... and the occasional abridged classic.

What is your favourite genre?

Contemporary fiction lah - not a huge fan of classics nor would I read sci fi.

Do you have a favourite novel?

Jeffrey Eugenides’s sophomore epic novel, Middlesex. That’s one book I don’t mind Hollywood adapt into a movie.

Where do you usually read?

Work or home. Tried Starbucks once, but it’s too cold to read properly. So much for their "third place" idea :P

When do you usually read?

During my lunch break… or when there’s no internet connection.

Do you usually have more than one book you are reading at a time?

Yes. What bibliophile doesn’t?

Do you read non-fiction in a different way or place than you read fiction?

I don’t think so. I might pay more attention to what’s being said and make note of it, but way or place? Doubt it lah.

Do you buy most of the books you read, or borrow them, or check them out of the library?

Used to borrow them out of the library or from people, but these days with Payless Books and BookXcess, and various book clearance sales all over the place, I don’t mind buying as long as it’s not at full retail price. But that's just books that are on my wishlist...

Do you keep most of the books you buy?

Yes – the rest I trade or release via Bookcrossing where they’re marked as “AVL” (Available).

If you have children, what are some of the favourite books you have shared with them? Were they some of the same ones you read as a child?

No kids, so this question is not applicable. But hypothetically, I probably would have to scout around for really kid-friendly books and not the crap that’s in bookstores these days.

Do you keep a TBR (to be read) list?

I’ve a perpetually growing TBR stack, but not as high a stack of books I’m getting rid of.

What’s next?

Much as I would like to crack that last Ben Elton that I’ve not read, but I don’t know for sure.

What books would you like to reread?

Harper Lee’s To Kill a Mockingbird. I only re-read when I don’t remember what it’s about anymore or when I need to find the line or paragraph that amused me.


Who are your favourite authors?
  • Scott Adams
  • Anthony Bourdain
  • Roald Dahl
  • Chuck Palahniuk
  • Mary Roach
  • George Carlin
  • Ben Elton
  • Sue Townsend
It's open to whoever wants to do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment