Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Bond, and a hot chick named Olga

Okaylah, when I first heard the title of Bond 22 was going to be Quantum of Solace, I was like, "huh?" Since then the title's been explained (in the short story, it's been defined as "a precise figure defining the comfort/humanity/fellow feeling required between any pair of people for love to survive. If the Quantum of Solace is 0, then love is dead."), and staring at it a few times, I think I get it.

I'm not gonna go into the plot because I like the action sequences more than the plot for Bond movies, which are typically very long winded. And yes, the action sequences are plenty in this one, even from the get-go. Feel bad for the busted Aston Martin in the cold open, though.

Speaking of opening sequences, I'm glad to see the gun barrel sequence is back (yay), silhouettes of nekkid women and all. Still no Q and Moneypenny (I know John Cleese is still alive, but who's gonna play Moneypenny?). As for the theme song, Another Day to Die (Jack White/Alicia Keys duet) - I don't hate it, cos it's a first time a duet song's been picked for a Bond theme song. I was kinda hoping that either Muse or even Amy Winehouse would do it, but oh well.

The villain in this one was just your typical movie baddie frankly, no superfluous trait about him - no third nipple, bloody tear ducts, no catchphrase, nothing - bit of a letdown. Now that the organisation he's working for has been revealed (QUANTUM), it'll make excellent fodder for at least a few more movies.

Leading Bond chick (Olga Kurylenko) - no real complaints. Whenever I hear the name Olga, the image of heavyset blue-eyed blonde with hair buns around the ears ala Princess Leia come to mind. Goes to show that there are hot chicks named Olga after all.

Whoever told me there are no bonk scenes in QoS was BS-ing - he did Fields (if you sit through the credits, you'd figure out why she never told him her given name, I wouldn't have too - I was laughing my head off when I finally saw the full name in the credits: Strawberry Fields) in the middle of the movie. I also thought there wouldn't be one owing to the fact that the man just lost Vesper Lynd not that long ago. Oh well - Bond will be Bond. There's also an homage to Goldfinger in this one - I don't think I should have to say what.

The climatic battle towards the end (which I didn't realise was IT) and I did like how Bond despatched the villain in the end.

My only reason for liking this one is that it's an hour and 46 minutes long - reportedly the shortest movie in the series.

No comments:

Post a Comment