Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Why I Refuse to Sign Up for Earth Hour

So Earth Hour is on 8.30 p.m. this coming Saturday night, right and press about it has been everyWHERE - papers, TV bits, Facebook... even the local celebs are in on it (More peer pressure than actual concern for the environment, I say).

The gist of Earth Hour is (from what I gather) to switch off one's lights for an hour "to raise awareness towards the need to take action on climate change".

What puzzles me is that WWF (yes, the World WILDLIFE Fund) is behind this. Aren't these people supposed to be busy protecting animals on the brink of extinction? I know the climate change might indirectly affect the animal population, but still...

As far as I'm concerned I'm helping towards the climate change cause by doing what I usually do - switching off appliances, etc - daily without having to pledge to do it for a designated hour in a designated day. I like to think I'm already doing my part without involving myself in this mo liew exercise.

Seriously, what are they expecting me to do for that hour if I'm not at any of the planned events around town and might be at home? Sweat like a pig and whack the mosquitoes away from me? At least it's supposed to be "unnecessary" appliances, so I guess I could keep the light, laptop and fan on because they're MY essentials, haha.

I can't sign up for something I can see the loopholes in and I can't believe in, so that's why I can't sign up for Earth Hour - it's a good thing I'm not femes, then...

No comments:

Post a Comment