Thursday, March 22, 2012

Freakonomics

After nearly two years it's been out, the good people at GSC finally brought in Freakonomics, the documentary adaptation of that bestselling book of the same name.

I need to tell you that yes, I've read the book a long time ago, but I didn't buy a copy (Bookcrossing copy) and neither had I kept it around (no space lah), so I can't remember whether I liked it all that much. I actually like the podcast more than I did the book, probably. I still haven't gotten a hold of the follow up, Superfreakonomics. I still have a signed Freakonomics bookplate lying around someplace...

I also didn't know that this was getting a theatre run in Malaysia, so I had seen it (you know how) not that long ago. But I'm a fan of the cinema-going experience - big screen, dark room, great sound, overpriced snacks... so I didn't really mind watch this again on a bigger screen than my laptop. Doesn't hurt that I won tickets to a preview screening at the second home, so no complaints.

Anyway, it's made up of different segments tackling different issues that are directed by different directors. I think the only name most people would recognise is Morgan Spurlock as he co-wrote and directed the very first segment about how names determine a child's destiny (stereotypically "black" names vs. "white" names, etc), which was one of the few things I remembered from the book. Can't vouch for the rest. 

If you've read the book, you might want to catch this at selected GSC cineplexes as it is under their International Screens. For how long, I don't know. I don't believe you would need to read the book beforehand to watch this. It's an entertaining take on economics, as far as I'm concerned.

Random thoughts:
  • When you see Levitt walk outside in just two layers of clothing and Dubner all bundled up in snow-covered Illinois (presumably), you know the former has been in the Midwest for too long.
  • I wonder if Levitt's own students find him as interesting as he comes across ever since Freakonomics came out...

No comments:

Post a Comment