It's been awhile since I was last at KLPac for a show, let alone a matinee performance, but I was still looking forward to watching The Compleat Wrks of Wllm Shkspr. But I didn't bother showing up so early - I got there with time to collect my ticket from the box office, quick lunch (tarpau-ed a tall, skinny, no-whip Starbucks iced mocha with a Chicken Toastie - nice, too bad the melted cheese got stuck to the paper bag..) before the doors opened. The line that formed across the lobby was discouraging until my poker faced self decided to go for it and did not line up.
There was a school group (or more) in attendance, plus quite a few families with young, pre-teen children. I was in a seat across the aisle from Joe and Faridah when I decided to move back another row just because. I felt a little bad when I asked the matriarch (she wasn't that old, but reminded me of Amy Chua) of the family seated in the row I left if her kids could switch seats because her teenage son was blocking my view. I felt worse when the little girl had the big, bald guy in front of her. Ish. The tudung clad stragglers that came in up to 20 minutes into the show was annoying, to say the least. But I don't know their story, so that's all I can say about that.
Was happy when I finally could use the free Wi-Fi during intermission inside Pentas 2. Sweet.
Pro tip: If you don't want to be a part of the show, DO NOT sit on the floor rows as well as the first two to three seated rows from the stage. By the time you read this, it probably would not matter.
In case anyone was wondering, they covered a lot of ground by lumping the lesser-known comedies and tragedies together in different segments. They closed out the show by doing Hamlet thrice - normal "abridged" speed, faster and also backwards.
I personally did not manage to catch every single word (they were going a little too fast for me), but the slapstick movement and the fourth wall breaking was plenty for yours truly. Some of the more baudy humour might be over the kids' heads (as well as perhaps the Malay students in attendance :P), but no complaints from me. I enjoyed myself.
I'd say watch it if you get a chance, but tickets for the KL run are sold out. You might have better luck when it goes to Penang next week.
No comments:
Post a Comment