Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Samsung Galaxy Y: The Pseudo-review

I was getting fed up with having to pay RM50 to update software (as it's past warranty) on my previous not-that-dumb Nokia 2630 that I only spent RM300-400 (or less? I can't remember) on several years ago, that I have to find out the hard way that I need (when I can't send or receive the odd MMS). I give Nokia props for their phones that don't seem to die. 

As a belated birthday present to myself (or so I tell myself) and a little against my better judgment, I got a Samsung Galaxy Y (GT-S5360), an entry level, under-RM500 phone meant for the budget conscious (nice way of saying "cheapskate") and the young (haha). I'm not going to bother with the technical specs and features, you can look that up yourselves. 

After having it for a few weeks, here's some plus and minus-es:

+ Size is cute enough - fits into tight pockets
- Makes typing on the touchscreen QWERTY keyboard right side up a bit of a pain unless you rotate it sideways. Also not suitable for people with sausage fingers.

+ Comes with 4 other back plates in the box: the grey, pink and orange ones looks scratchproof - those you could do without a phone buffer. The black and white ones, however...

+ Incoming call quality is not too bad; except now I can hear what someone is trying to sell me over the phone :P

+ Most of the usual games and apps you would want are free on Android Market. 

+ As I don't have a data plan, don't do 3G all that much, take the usual battery-saving precautions, and I don't have a lot of places to leech Wi-Fi from, battery lasts nearly 3 days before I have to charge

- Response to tapping a little slow at times, I think it's probably hung on me a few times... but most of the time, it's adequate. 

- 3 inch screen is not so great for Angry Birds, only if you squint and don't also end up angry like the titular birds.
+ GREAT for games like Fruit Ninja :P

+/- 2MP camera - don't expect to print quality pictures, but it's enough to pass muster on the social networking sites.

Conclusion: It's no iPhone, but it does the job adequately.

No comments:

Post a Comment