Thursday, April 4, 2013

Side Effects

Decided on a lark to go see the movie Side Effects with Jude Law, Rooney Mara, Catherine Zeta-Jones and Channing Tatum only after I heard Slate's Spoiler Special of it. I had no intention of seeing it beforehand, but I had known about it from Jude Law's appearance on The Graham Norton Show

I don't hate Jude Law, but I don't consider myself a fan. But you are a fan, you probably saw this movie already. If you're going just to see Channing Tatum, well... don't bother. His reputation as an actor is such that I cannot imagine him as a guy who got put away for insider trading. They could've picked another guy for his role and it could've been better for it. Perhaps that explains why Jason Statham tends to do the similar movies..

People were laughing/chuckling through the last third of the movie: either they've read what's about to happen, or I missed something they all found funny because I finally had to use the restroom and it was a long walk. If you watch too much TV like I do, the flash forward storytelling device is really starting to get old. The whole movie felt like a two part-episode of some cop show.

It's not bad for what is (allegedly) Steven Soderbergh's last movie before retiring/sabbatical.

All I came out with after this movie was: Do not mess with Jude Law. Also, don't read up beforehand if you really want to see this.

PS. See if you can spot the stack of Malcolm Gladwell books :P

No comments:

Post a Comment