Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Franz Ferdinand, Urbanscapes 2013

This was it. Ever since I heard their eponymous debut album almost 10 years ago (which I won and didn't have to buy back in 2004; still my favourite album of theirs to this day) and now they're playing in Malaysia. Don't have to travel to Singapore, just Serdang. Pinch me.

Used the 90 minute downtime to rest while waiting. Many people are already standing in front of the stage like the crazies they are. There should be a rule where people over a certain height are never allowed within a fixed distance of the stage. If you didn't stand up, you pretty much couldn't see anything, so when in Rome, do as the Romans do. 

I know they're touring to promote their latest album Right Thoughts, Right Words, Right Action (which came out a little while ago this year), but they also played a salad of their older hits from the three albums before this, so there's something for everyone... except that they didn't play one of my personal favourites, Darts of Pleasure. They played 20 songs, and they had no room for Darts of Pleasure?! HOW CAN?!!! ARE YOU GUYS KIDDING ME?! (If you look it up, the song ends with three lines of German). 

That aside, I thought it was a very energetic performance; you can't help but move along with the energy...  particularly during the three song encore. My only niggle was being stuck behind people taller than me who were busy taking selfies of themselves and their friends. What a pain in the patootie.


And at least I can check another item off the bucket list.

I didn't record some of the songs so I didn't keep track of what was being played. Luckily, someone posted a picture of the setlist they grabbed afters on Instagram, which was then reposted by the Urbanscapes team on Facebook. Which made it easy to enter on setlist.fm.


No comments:

Post a Comment