Saturday, September 16, 2023

A Haunting in Venice

I wasn't too enthusiastic when I read that A Haunting in Venice was gonna be a bit of a gory ghost story, but I'll say that it's loosely based on a Christie book I haven't read before. After all the crap the last two movies got for being  based on the better known books, at least they finally gone with a more obscure Christie title. 

In post-World War II Venice, Poirot, now retired and living in his own exile, reluctantly attends a seance. But when one of the guests is murdered, it is up to the former detective to once again uncover the killer.

Caught the first screening of the day at Pyramid, but gathered that I was also at least some minutes late; by the time I got there, opening credits were already rolling. For the first time in a long while, the room had quite a number of people watching, including a family who the parents thought was a good idea to bring their young children (under the age of five young; the whole place can hear them be kids) to this movie. Talk about WTF - if this was a kids movie, then fine I'll just stfu and deal, but this is not that kind of movie. So was already kinda distracted, which I kinda needed for the moments I can only watch between weaved fingers and all. 

  • Bit of a Belfast reunion, with both Jamie Dornan and Jude Hill playing father and son again... (Hadn't seen Belfast myself)
  • This part was a good dodge, you gotta admit...
    POIROT: "...I have been, all my life, been uncharmed by your kind.."
    REYNOLDS: "My kind?"
    POIROT: "Opportunists who prey on the vulnerable"
  • Was wondering why wasn't this out closer to Halloween, but turns out 15th September was Dame Christie's birth date. Ohkay then. 

Just when you thought it was gonna be too supernatural a mystery, but it just turns out to be a standard mystery after all. Wasn't as gory as I expected going into this. Some people might find it underwhelming. 

I also have to appreciate that this came in under 1.45 hours, cos any longer will be just pointless. 

No comments:

Post a Comment