Tuesday, December 9, 2008

My Hard and Fast Shopping Rules

With the Year End Sale (YES - that's what the gahmen is calling the Malaysia Mega Sale this time) going on at the moment and as I hit the malls and the sales whenever I can, I have to keep these "rules" in mind before I crack the wallet open.

1. If it ain't half off, it ain't on sale.


Took this one from
The Nanny, which I can't help but agree with. 10% discount is a joke, especially for books or clothes. Magazines, maybe. I don't bother going in unless I spot a 50% discount sign somewhere in the store.

2. If I can't pronounce the brand name, I'm not about to buy it.


I can't stand to hear people butcher brand names, especially the cheena people who probably bought their "genuine imitation" items from Petaling Street or Bangkok. Most Western brands are easy enough to sound out: Banana Republic, Calvin Klein, etc. There's this ONE brand I still haven't found out how to pronounce: XOXO. Do you say it as it is, or is it "Hugs and Kisses" (as it would be called when corresponding with someone)? I am confused.


3. If the sale is too far, don't bother.


Unless it's got brands that you actually like and buy, the petrol and other expenses is not worth the trip. Not even for the heck of it. Save your time and your money.


4. If I can't figure out what it is in 5 seconds, don't expect me to buy it.

A lot of times I stare at something on the rack, like a short skirt and the first question I ask myself is: Is that a top or bottom? Then I waste more time sticking my hand in to yank out the tag to see the description before dismissing it.


5. If I can't figure out how to wear it, I'm not buying it.


If you want me to buy something, you had better tell me how to at least WEAR it before I would think about buying it. I passed up on pareos (sarongs), certain wrap tops because of this rule (and because I have no real reason to wear said items).

No comments:

Post a Comment