Thursday, February 19, 2009

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

First movie of the year in a cineplex, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, in Cineleisure last night because it was the earliest of the cinemas in range.

It's from the F. Scott Fitzgerald short story of the same name, but the most the film makers took from it was the title and the protagonist, Benjamin Button. You can find the short story online, but you wouldn't recognise it in the movie.

I'm no fan of Pitt and would not usually pay money to see any movie with him in it, but this movie is not bad.

I barely recognised Cate Blanchett as the old and dying Daisy in the beginning of the movie. They showed her (alleged) teenage self, the only thing I could think of was, "Damn, that SKII shit is GOOD". Or the makeup and special effects, whatever. If it was the former, the SKII people could get in on it.

The thing I couldn't believe happen in the movie was that there was a RUNNING GAG of one of the residents who would tell Benjamin one of his seven incidents of getting struck by lightning and it would cut to it. Everytime the old man said, "Did you know that I was struck by lightning seven times?" the crowd was laughing. There were other funny moments, but I'll keep that to myself.

At 2 hours 48 minutes (2 minutes were snipped for Malaysian audiences), it's a little long but you barely feel the time lapse, it's that engaging. It could be due to the sugar rush of Pepsi and caramel popcorn, I don't know.

I say go watch it if you haven't already downloaded it before :p

No comments:

Post a Comment