Saturday, April 27, 2013

All Bane Saturday

The intention was to try to catch Ribena Berry (one of Jo Kukathas's alter egos) at the Kakiseni Festival in Pavilion, but by the time I got there, doors were closed, so oh well. Collected my ticket to Bane 3, which was happening at 12.30 p.m. and walked around to kill some time before that. By the time I got back, the line to go in had just started, so I quickly joined in because it was free seating. 

The Black Box (where it happens) was huge from the outside, but once you go in, it's a pretty intimate space on the inside, with only several rows of seating, not including space for the tech guys at the back. 

I had gotten myself a ticket to see the first part of the Bane trilogy at PJ Live Arts later that night before I found out about this, so I was going to watch the abridged version of the latest instalment of a trilogy I had no prior experience of before I had even seen Part 1. I know.

Here's the press copy of the show because me trying to explain what it is about is too much work.

Bane 3, performed by Joe Bone

Billed as Die Hard meets the Naked Gun on stage, Joe Bone’s multi-award-winning sell out smash hit Bane 3 arrives in KL with its Asian premiere. Action, comedy, music and drama are shaken together in this one-man one-musician spectacle featuring Ben Roe’s moody live score.

The show follows tough-talking hit-man Bruce Bane, as he battles his inner demons about working for the mob, all performed by Bone’s multi-character shape shifting.

This is storytelling like you’ve never seen before!

I don't know about Naked Gun per se, but Die Hard? Definitely. Bruce Bane is like Bruce Willis's entire acting career where he plays the guy that everyone else wants dead for some rhyme or reason. 

For what it is, it's not bad. People definitely laughed. For a Brit, his American accent was pretty decent.

Saw Bane the same night at Cabaret in PJ Live Arts, a space I had not been at before. Definitely an intimate space; no wonder they have the weekly standup comedy event there. 

I'm exhausted just watching Joe Bone perform, so I give him props for pulling off all the characters, their tics, sound effects, EVERYTHING for an hour. I'm not sure if I'll ever (or want to) see Bane 2

No comments:

Post a Comment