Friday, April 19, 2013

TomTom Via 220 - Short (attention span) review

Got myself an entry level TomTom device (Via 220) last year because it was one of the cheaper devices (ALLIT was selling it for less than its local usual retail price for a little while) that came with a limited offer for free lifetime maps. Considering how much Tomtom map updates are, it was then or never. And I wanted to see how it differed from a Garmin device.

Waiting to hear back from the TomTom people (you have to email them certain details) about the free lifetime map updates was a little nail biting, but it came through. My only question is how is "lifetime" defined in this instance? I'm guessing device lifetime :P 

Having used it for some months now, I guess a review is due. 

Pros:
  • LOVE the lane guidance feature - especially the visual aspect where I can SEE which lane of which road/exit I'm supposed to be on.
  • Attached windshield mount means less clutter and it's more compact. Attach the suction mount to the screen and twist until you feel/hear a click.
  • Size is just nice for me (4.3 inches).
  • You can buy the celeb voices (like John Cleese or Stephen Fry) or character voices (Homer Simpson, Yoda); or if you're cheap, you can find those online.... 
  • Route recalculation is pretty snappy, especially for me as I tend to miss lanes, entrances and exits on unfamiliar roads :P
Cons: 
  • Software updates is persistently annoying when I had it to check when the computer boots up. Now I just check for updates manually (read: when I feel like it). Also no idea why it's a "Start 20" on the website when you're updating..
  • Battery life a little sucky - couple hours tops, so you would need to bring charge cords with you for long car trips. It also gets inexplicably drained in between uses - I would charge it, put it away and when I switch it on again after a time, it needs another charge. What is up with that? There's only USB charge cord and the cigarette lighter adapter for car use, so no AC one to keep the bulk down (the box is really small).
  • With how fast things are going, some places don't quite show up. 
  • For the OCD: Place names not capitalised accordingly when you do the search.

Conclusion: It's alright for an entry level device; I prefer it over a Garmin device :P

No comments:

Post a Comment