Friday, August 2, 2013

Niamahsutra


Bought myself a ticket to Niamahsutra about a week before, knowing full well that it's a siaran ulangan simply because I had not gone to see it the first time round, so it was fine.

Got there with barely enough time to collect my ticket from the box office, do some Foursquare checkins and also check out Cold Storage before the doors opened. 

I also went cheapo and decided to try out the balcony seating. Those are the closest to nosebleed seats that I've ever been in since Wisconsin, except this time I got to see the stage better. Seats up there also surprisingly comfy. The wait music was also pretty interesting this time - TV theme songs from the 80s and 90s with lyrics that told what the show was about. I never realised the Ninja Turtles one also had that. Huh.

Patrick Teoh did about 20 minutes - not a bad set, but also really familiar if you saw his first attempt at standup comedy a few years ago (it's on YouTube someplace). When he talked about his days as supermarket DJ in ye olde Jaya Supermarket, I actually still remember the DJ console at the bottom of the spiral staircase on the ground floor. Man, I'm old. His bit about being grateful to angmo guys coming to Malaysia to go out with ugly Malaysian women (to quote him) so the latter can also get laid was (you have to admit) pretty hilarious.

Douglas's set was about the local politics and of local current affairs. If you've gone to the recent MACC or seen him recently you might have already heard it. But it's never a Douglas Lim show without a song. Luckily the guy can still hold a tune :P

Instead of the usual comedy convention of making fun of people in the cheap seats, they both poked fun at the people in the not-so-cheap seats. Better them than me - people should know that if you don't want to be part of the show, you shouldn't get front row seats to a comedy show, even if you can afford it.

No comments:

Post a Comment